Gas Turbine Specialist
Company: NRG Energy, Inc.
Posted on: June 6, 2021
NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built
on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation
portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500
company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations,
reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform
serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with
electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable
solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter
energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail
electricity providers serve almost three million residential and
commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG
Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
The Combustion Turbine Specialist position is a key non-union
leadership position reporting directly to the Devon/ Connecticut
Jet Power, O&M Manager. This position requires advanced
technical subject matter knowledge with combustion turbines and
related systems. The preferred applicant should possess field
specific technical knowledge with PLCs, DCS GE MK Vie and Woodward
GAP. This knowledge may have been gained through experience or a
combination of college/technical training. This position is
required to provide advanced technical support for all plant
related matters, issues, troubleshooting, writing technical
specifications for repairs and component replacements, planning,
and outage support. Excellent verbal and computer communication
skills are a must as this position communicates with internal and
external stakeholders including original equipment manufacturers
(OEM) and non-OEM and provides recommendations for the plant
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
The duties at this level include, but are not limited to:
- Troubleshoot and provide technical guidance for Turbine, BOP,
DCS, PLC, I&C related issues.
- Directs and performs routine unit/equipment performance
monitoring, testing and makes recommendations based on the data
- Participate in and/or lead teams that focus on solving specific
problem or needs for generating units (e.g.: Root Cause Analysis
and Condition Assessments).
- Assists in all aspects of plant start-up as needed
- Respond to plant emergencies/call-ins as required
- Provides technical input on due diligence efforts and new
projects as needed.
- Supports and provides training to Plant staff when
- Perform bid reviews, and schedules with Vendors/Contractors and
other support groups.
- Be proactive in problem recognition, using independent
experience and judgment to provide solution options.
- Supervises work as required by Management.
- Develops quality work and inspection plans in the performance
of plant systems and equipment.
- Serve role as Station Work Management Lead
- Other duties as assigned by Manager
- HS Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid driver's license
- Must be highly proficient in I&C troubleshooting
- Read and interpret plant One/Three-line diagrams, P&IDs,
Elementary and Logic diagrams
- 5 years Power Plant technical field experience or related
military experience with Combustion Turbines and related Control
- 4 yr degree or equivalent experience as described below
- Experience troubleshooting GE MK VIe / Woodward GAP
- Experience with GE LM6000 Combustion Turbines and Controls
- Experience with Pratt & Whitney FT4 Combustion Turbines and
- Experience working in SAP
- Experience with PI
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to develop and review equipment repair specifications
to the component level.
- Experience in development and implementation of technical
solutions of in-service power generation equipment.
- Ability to perform inspections and troubleshoot power plant
- Ability to organize and interpret data collected in the plant
and to make recommendations based on the findings.
- Good understanding of work planning and scheduling. SAP work
management experience preferred.
- Ability to coordinate and manage projects in his area of
- Detailed knowledge of power plant systems and equipment in area
- Specialized knowledge supporting DCS and Controls issues.
- Ability to understand and interpret drawings and
- Knowledge of and ability to apply applicable industry and
corporate codes and standards.
- Ability to use standard business software to produce
spreadsheets and reports.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional working
relationship with others.
- Ability to work well in a team environment. Ability to read and
follow written corporate policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, write and understand English.
- Excellent communication skills when working with
- Support coordinate, schedule, and maintenance of construction
projects and maintenance activities.
- Maintain constant awareness of power needs and develop the
means of meeting those needs at the lowest cost.
- Maintain technical awareness of developments within the field
of engineering, construction and maintenance. Work with local
utility representatives to solve operational problems.
- Both normal office and out of doors work environment.
- This could include working at heights, high/low ambient
temperatures, wet, dirty and high humidity areas. Will also include
work in confined spaces.
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle and valid Driver's
License. Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting,
climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to
access, inspect and/or collect data on plant equipment.
- Work extended and non-standard hours as required to support the
- Use of PPE (Personnel Protective Equipment), which may include
safety glasses, hard hat, protective footwear, ear plugs, gloves,
safety harness, respirator, etc.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized
equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Operation of a personal computer.
- May require lifting as appropriate to perform duties and
- Travel requiring <10% (annually) to NRG Regional plants and
other corporate locations.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To
the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective
bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug
testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and
alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the
applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
Keywords: NRG Energy, Inc., Milford , Gas Turbine Specialist, Other , Milford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!