Day Camp Unit Director - Woodruff Family YMCA
Company: Central Connecticut Coast YMCA
Posted on: March 17, 2023
This position supports the mission and work of the Y, a leading
nonprofit, charitable organization. The Day Camp Unit Director
directly supervises and effectively leads an assigned age group of
campers and staff in a seasonal day camp setting and maintains a
supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all
individuals while promoting and maintaining safe conditions in
accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. This results in a
cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful,
nurturing, and determined.
- Demonstrate the values of caring, honesty, respect and
responsibility in relationships with colleagues, members,
volunteers, vendors and guests.
- Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while
building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers.
- Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs
and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall
- Assists directors with supervision of camp staff, including:
recruitment, hiring, training, meetings, evaluation, recognition,
coaching, disciplining, and scheduling.
- Assists with development and implementation of camp programs
and risk management in accordance with YMCA guidelines.
- Supports and directs staff in lesson and program planning and
- Communicates with staff, campers, and parents in a timely and
professional manner and answers questions that will support a
positive experience with the Y.
- Maintains physical presence, remains alert at all times while
on duty, maintains constant visual attention to campers, and
remains aware of camp surroundings.
- Knows, follows, and enforces all YMCA policies, rules,
regulations, and procedures, including those for the prevention of
child abuse and the Rule of Three.
- Follows all Camp procedures and guidelines including those
pertaining to health and safety, camper supervision,
drop-off/pick-up, attendance, forms, reports, and staff
expectations as required by the YMCA, licensing, and the state
- Attends all mandatory meetings and trainings. Requirements
- At least 1 year of post-high school education in a related
- One or more years of experience working as a senior counselor
or specialty director at a licensed day or resident camp.
- Demonstrated ability to create, schedule, organize and
implement camp activities and staff training.
- Good role model, with integrity and adaptability.
- Demonstrates leadership skills in an outgoing, friendly,
assertive, professional, and mature manner.
- Effective communication skills necessary to inform, counsel,
motivate, and support campers and staff.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when
challenged by others.
- Must be observant, safety-conscious, and able to react calmly
and quickly in an emergency.
- Must complete new employee trainings and department
- Must possess and maintain valid CPR/AED and First Aid
- Valid driver's license, and an acceptable driving record
Keywords: Central Connecticut Coast YMCA, Milford , Day Camp Unit Director - Woodruff Family YMCA, Executive , Milford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...